[freeside-devel] Broadband Services Spec

Kristian Hoffmann khoff at fire2wire.com
Wed Jun 27 14:10:57 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 15:11 -0400, Jeff Finucane wrote:
> Freeside Developers:
>
>   I do not see any particular reason to separate svc_broadband and nas
> as currently indicated at
> http://www.sisd.com/mediawiki/index.php/Broadband_Services_Spec as the
> same types of information are required for each.  Only for reporting
> or selection purposes is the distinction between them of interest as far
> as I can tell.

router and svc_broadband are two conceptually different things.  A
router is something that provides the service and represents the ISP's
equipment (i.e. DSLAM, wireless AP).  svc_broadband is the service being
provided and represents the customer premise equipment (i.e. DSL modem,
wireless radio).

Can you point out the overlap between router and svc_broadband?  Aside
from physical address, I don't see it.

>   The current mechanism (router, part_svc_router) offers better granularity
> for selection purposes.

Selection of what?  part_svc_router is intended to relate router to
part_svc records in order to define which types of services (part_svc)
can be provisioned on which routers (router).

>   I suggest that a svc_broadband is associated with part_svc records much
> as router is now.  The edge and core flags, if desired, can then be moved
> onto svc_broadband.

svc_broadband is already related to part_svc via cust_svc.

What is a core svc_broadband service?

>   addr_block/svc_ip may be directly associated with a svc_broadband and
> the superfluous router record disappears.

addr_block should be related to svc_ip, and svc_ip with svc_broadband
(as necessary).  But how do a block of IP addresses (layer 3) related in
any way to a single svc_broadband service (layer 2)?

>   exports and "part_svc_svc_broadband" define the nature and relationships
> among the devices

Again, I don't see how relating part_svc to svc_broadband *twice* can be
useful.

Regards,

--
Kristian Hoffmann