[freeside-devel] Invoice Details Lost after postgres migration

Scott Edwards supadupa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 17:20:08 PDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 3:57 PM, Gilbert Rebeiro <gilbert at dido.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    Recently due to a failure had to restore my postgres database on a new
> server and re-install freeside.
>    I used pg_dump to do the backup and then used pgsql freeside<file.sql to
> restore the database.

I've always maintained binary backups via rsync+ssh.  I also have
atleast 2 full generations in the event a backup is somewhat
incomplete or the second half of the job is too new for the first half
(takes time to download all the data).  postgres' documentation stated
somewhere (or maybe it was a user) that you can do in place backups
while the daemon is running, as long as your db activity is real light
(and mine is).  The best approach would be to backup while postgres
isn't running. (maybe I'll create a wrapper for rsync to do just this,
so postgres goes down while backups are running, and comes back up
after it's done).

I've had some success with #postgresql on freenode.  Maybe a guru will
have some clues as to what's happened to your data...  I take it you
only have the text dumps of the database?

> I'm a dead duck :)

oops!

> Thanks in advance,
> Gilbert.