[freeside-devel] RT integration

ivan ivan at 420.am
Sat Nov 27 11:36:45 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 12:27:36PM +1030, Matthew Draper wrote:
> Kristian,
>
> I see you're currently looking at RT integration.
>
> Personally, I prefer more of the look-and-wave option, noting that given
> RT credentials (whether a 'freeside' user, or having Freeside users ==
> RT users),

Even with the look-and-wave option, seems to me that
Freeside users == RT users makes sense.

> Freeside can do a lot via the XML interfaces RT currently
> provides.
>
> For example, using /Search/Results.rdf, we can easily build a "top
> tickets linked to this customer".
>

> In doing so, it would work fine with Freeside sharing a DB with RT
> (Ivan's case), both running on different DBs on the same machine (your
> case), and running on different DBs on different machines (my case).
>
> Between Results.rdf and Autrijus's efforts on RTx::Atom, I'm confident
> we could pull whatever data we want.

I don't think the same machine / remote machine distinction is relevant.
What matters is if we're using the builtin RT libraries or not...

I liked Kristian's idea about FS::TicketSystem, so I made some module
skeletons:

  FS::TicketSystem::RT_Internal

    For my case, where Freeside shares a database with RT.  Pretty much
    the only thing that would go here would be stuff that JOINs across
   Freeside and RT tables.  RT_Internal inherits from:

  FS::TicketSystem::RT_Libs

    For the case where you use the included RT libraries to access a
    separate database (local or remote).  This is where the bulk of the
    code for my case would go.  RT_Libs in turn inherits from:

  FS::TicketSystem::RT_External

    For the completely external case that doesn't use the included RT
    libraries, but instead uses the RT XML interface (Results,rdf,
    others?) and RTx::Atom

I also added a configuration value to enable ticketing and select
which system to use.

Folks who wanted to integrate with other ticket systems could write a
FS::TicketSystem::Other_System class.

I don't actually have lots of time to work on this in the near future,
do feel free to work on it if you guys are interested.  I just needed to
get myself a little more organized and moved over from RT2 - getting
overwhelmed keeping track of what my customers need.  :)