[freeside-devel] part_export

ivan ivan at 420.am
Sun Mar 31 14:11:48 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 11:58:00PM -0800, Kristian Hoffmann wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, ivan wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:48:58PM -0800, Mark Wells wrote:
> > >
> > > Is the part_svc/part_export relationship meant to be one-to-one?
> >
> > No, it's one-to-many...
>
> I guess what we were looking for then was many-to-one (if that is even a
> term).  Instead of storing a svcpart in a part_export, can we store a
> exportnum in a part_svc?

No, that's bad news... then you wouldn't be able to export to multiple
places from the same part_svc.

>  That way you wouldn't have to create duplicate
> part_exports for multiple part_svcs exporting to the same
> machine/exporttype.

I could be convinced part_svc/part_export should be many-to-many instead
of one-to-many, but it's not a priority for me for 1.4.0...

>  More importantly for us, we may want to use a
> different exporttype within the same svcpart.
>
> Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble.  The
> reason I make a point of this is because we are considering the case where
> someone would have a part_svc for one type of svc_l2 but not have the same
> type of equipment at all locations.  It wouldn't make sense to have a
> seperate service definition for each location just because the equipment
> installed there needed a different exporttype.  Hmmmmm.  I may have just
> talked myself out of it.  Thoughts?

It seems, as Mark said, the best place to handle this logic is in the code
for that exporttype.