[freeside-users] Setting up Debian 9.8

Nathan Kennedy nathan at nkent.us
Tue Mar 26 16:47:15 PDT 2019

On Tue, 2019-03-26 at 18:57 -0400, Blair Davis wrote:
> I'm setting up Debian 9.8 on a Dell 2850 to run Freeside.
> Any gotcha's I should know about?
> I assume a server type setup without a GUI is best?
> Any default packages I don't need to install?
> Any add-on packages I do need?
Hello Blair,

As a rule I typically do minimal installations with just openssh.  The
Freeside Debian packages typically have the proper dependencies so
installing them doesn't typically take a lot of work.
A few things I did note during my last install was it had some issues
working around installing ssmtp and there is still a dependency that
tries to bring libev-perl in which will completely break apache.  To
get around these you can preinstall ssmtp so it is already there and on
your apt install line include libev-perl- and it should install without
any troubles.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Kennedy