[freeside-users] Certbot Problem

Nathan Kennedy nathan at nkent.us
Fri May 25 12:41:28 PDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 13:00 -0600, William Pearson wrote:
> I'm not seeing SuexecUserGroup anywhere in the config. Looks pretty
> generic.

Hello William,

You need to look at the file in /etc/apache2/sites-available that has
your SSL configuration in it.  It appears that the documentation at
Freeside does not include this but you should have the following
directive set in your SSL site configuration:

SuexecUserGroup freeside freeside

> Looks like the file www-data in /etc/apache2/suexec/ might not be
> pointing to the correct folder.
>
> /var/www
> public_html/cgi-bin
You will need a new file named freeside with two lines that list the
path to your selfservice directory.

Alternatively, if the site will only be hosting the selfservice server
you can change the /etc/apache2/envvars file so it only runs as the
freeside user, change the following lines:

export APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data
export APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data

export APACHE_RUN_USER=freeside
export APACHE_RUN_GROUP=freeside

You will need to change ownership of the apache log files and other
directories and files where that need to be written to.  Setting up
suexec is probably much easier and allows more flexibility so I
wouldn't change the envvars file unless you are familiar with
configuring apache.

After you do all of this be sure to restart apache.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Kennedy
Contracted Professional IT