[freeside-users] What is the best location for docs?

Kevin kevo at gatorgraphics.com
Wed Mar 29 10:32:15 PDT 2017

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 8:13 PM, Ivan Kohler <ivan at freeside.biz> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:34:04PM -0600, Kevin wrote:
>> Is the Wiki the best documentation available. It seems there are a lot
>> of holes. Is there any other documentation available for a new
>> user/administrator.
>
> The wiki is the best location for documentation.  If you find it
> insufficient, please contribute.

I would be happy to contribute if I knew how to do anything or had any useful knowledge with which to contribute.

Just got back around to working on my test install, and I can't find anything with a basic description of how to do a basic function like creating a simple service and billing a customer for it. Is there someplace where this might exist that I'm missing?

One of the features I'm interested in is the tower coverage maps. It would be great to have our sales people be able to get a reasonable estimate of signal for a particular address before they send a tech out.

So I have added an API key, setup a tower and a sector, and I get a map with a little tower icon but no signal overlay. So looking through the wiki I find that it appears a service has to be attached to the tower for the map to draw. I don't understand precisely why that is, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

What I can't figure out now, is how so I setup a service and attach it to the sector, and I'm not even sure I understand what that means exactly. Does that mean there needs to be a customer running the service off that tower or ?

Does anyone have this working and can give me a basic process for how to get it running.

Also, a basic outline of the terminology would be great. Something that explicitly describes the proper usage and setup of a service, package, etc. would be great. Just an example of billing a customer for a monthly service of some sort starting from creating the service and customer would probably get me a long way to where I need to be.

Thanks,
Kevin