[freeside-users] Perl error

Ivan Kohler ivan at freeside.biz
Mon May 11 21:34:15 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 08:47:52AM -0500, Dave Burgess wrote:
> Just to echo Ivan's comments, at one point I had FreeSide running on
> NetBSD, so I doubt the subtle differences between Ubuntu and Debian
> are the source of the problem.

Most of the time it isn't differences in the base OS that cause folks
difficulty.

More often there's a bug or incompatibility or some other problem with
one of the CPAN dependencies.  Not usually a big deal for someone with
the necessary sysadmin/CPAN/Perl stack experience, but not something
everyone in 2015 who expected a "./compile; make install"-like
experience is comfortable with.

The easiest thing for folks who have problems with that would be to use
Debian or the VMWare appliance.

Again if folks are interested in better support for Ubuntu we would be
thrilled to have some community contribution here, and would be happy to
host repositories, auto-builders, and so forth.  Unlike hacking on the
application itself (which admittedly has gotten tougher for casual
contributors as things have got larger and more complex), this is an
easier place for folks to contribute.