[freeside-users] Makefile example for OpenBSD 5.6 & unknown option for install during make install-docs

Edwin A. Epstein III ed at n1n2.solutions
Thu Apr 9 20:55:22 PDT 2015

Hello,

I'm installing the current branch master of Freeside with, "git clone git://git.freeside.biz/freeside.git freeside". If that wasn't the correct version to use, please let me know.

Once I got the point where I needed to edit the Makefile, I could tell right away it was defaulted for Debian 7. I corrected pretty much everything I saw in there for OpenBSD (there were plenty of helpful comments, thank you). I've completed the installation up to the point, "make install-docs" without error. Running that will output:

make masondocs
`masondocs' is up to date.
#ancient attempt to avoid overwriting customer modifications directly to production web files that's overlived its usefulness
#[ -e /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside ] && mv /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside.`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` || true
#cp -r masondocs /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside
[ -h /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside ] && rm /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside || true
mkdir -p /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside
cp -r masondocs/* masondocs/.htaccess /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside
chown -R freeside:freeside /var/apache2/htdocs/freeside
install -D htetc/handler.pl /usr/local/etc/freeside/handler.pl
install: unknown option -- D
usage: install [-bCcdpSs] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner]
source ... target ...
*** Error 64 in /usr/src/freeside (Makefile:154 'install-docs')

The install command has an unrecognized option it. Does anybody have a working Makefile for OpenBSD 5.6 with Apache 2/PostgreSQL? Alternately, any advice on fixing the install command correctly for what it's doing?

Sincerely,

Edwin A Epstein, III
n1n2.solutions
702.575.1980