[freeside-users] PayPal API

Ivan Kohler ivan at freeside.biz
Thu Jul 12 00:55:40 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 03:27:06AM -0400, Jim Cobb wrote:
> Back in 2009, I was trying to get PayPal working. At that time, Ivan said
> the problem was PayPal not accepting CC as card type.  Has there been any
> progress made on either Freeside's or PayPal's end that has a solution
> yet?

PayPal Payflow Pro (their real merchant account product) is supported
and has been for ages.  This uses Business::OnlinePayment::PayflowPro.

PayPal DoDirectPayment (Business::OnlinePayment::PayPal) is not
supported.  I believe this is what you're thinking of when you say
"PayPal not accepting CC as card type" - it is a bug in the
Business::OnlinePayment::PayPal module, not a problem with PayPal
itself.  See <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=25259>.
This is possibly simple to fix, but I'm not aware of anyone that's tried
and verified the module works properly with Freeside.

If I understand correctly, it is technically a violation of PayPal's
terms to use DoDirectPayment without offering payment via redirection of
the end-user browser.  Folks who know more about this feel free to
correct me or clarify.

PayPal redirection of the end-user browser is not currently supported.
This will take some work to implement.  No one has contributed the work,
none of my small folks can pay for the work, and none of my big folks
want it so far (they currently prefer to process their own cards with a
real merchant account).  Perhaps increasing PCI enforcement or the
growing acceptance of PayPal as a payment type for large companies will
change the situation.

Hope that helps clarify the current state of things wrt PayPal.

--
Ivan Kohler
President and Head Geek