[freeside-users] Package classes vs categories

Ivan Kohler ivan at freeside.biz
Mon Jun 6 15:47:40 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:15:35PM +1000, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know the difference between package class and package category?

Package classes define groups of package definitions, for taxation,
ordering convenience and reporting.

Package categories define groups of package classes, used for sectioned
invoices.

> Also what's the difference between package class and package report
> class?

Report classes are only for reporting.

> To group various packages, I organized all the defined packages in various
> classes. (There is a drop down in
> package definitions page, which allows to view packages selectively from a
> class). The main motivation is to
> distinguish between older package offerings and newer package offerings. But
> now I cannot change a package
> from older class to a package from a newer class.

I'm not aware of anything which would restrict package changes based on
class like that.  I suspect you have prematurely mis-diagnosed your
problem.

--
Ivan Kohler
President and Head Geek