[freeside-users] 1.9.2 released

Ivan Kohler ivan at freeside.biz
Thu May 13 18:33:30 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 01:49:18PM -0500, jack.d.martin at magicwisp.com wrote:
> I am using v1.7.3 in the VMWare appliance.  I love it, but would like to
> upgrade to the newest to take advantage of some changes since then.  What
> is the easiest way to upgrade the VM.

Upgrade the OS:
This is a nice short guide:
  http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-upgrade-debian-linux-4etch-to-5lenny-server.html
Or the official release notes:
  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

Upgrade Freeside:
  http://www.freeside.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Freeside:1.9:Documentation:Upgrading

> Is everything stored in the database,

It is in 1.9.  In 1.7, some configuration is in the filesystem
(Configuration->Settings). The Freeside upgrade will take care of the
migration for you.

> or do I need to follow the normal upgrade path?

I would.

Alternatively, you could try moving things over and then running the
normal Freeside upgrade tasks, but that sounds prone to errors and more
of a pain to me.  The Debian 4.0->5.0 upgrade is straighforward.  Plus,
you're using a VM, so you can snapshot and rollback as many times as you
need to.