[freeside-users] selfservice.cgi: not running as the freeside user

Jim Cobb jimcobb at ejourney.com
Tue Jan 12 13:28:41 PST 2010

Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend at another ISP setup a selfservice machine.  He is
running version 1.7.2 (freeside server was purchased from freeside.biz).
Selfservice machine is Fedora (not sure which core).

I've installed all of the necessary components, or to the best of my
knowledge I have.

I've followed the instructions, but they are for 1.9.  Not sure if that
makes a difference.

Anyways, I've searched and not found an answer to my problem.

Apache runs as user apache

When I try to load selfservice.cgi, I get Error 550 Internal Server Error
on my browser.

On the selfservice box, apache error_log shows:

selfservice.cgi: not running as the freeside user

selfservice.cgi: Compilation failed in require at
/var/www/html/selfservice/selfservice.cgi line 19.

selfservice.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/var/www/html/selfservice/selfservice.cgi line 19.

File permissions for the CGI file are:
-r-xr-xr-x 1 freeside freeside 16746 2010-01-12 15:57 selfservice.cgi

I've added the following to httpd.conf:

<Directory /var/www/html/selfservice>
 AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
 Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>

What am I missing here?  Can anyone help me before I pull out what little
hair I have left?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Cobb
Endless Journey Internet