[freeside-users] How to configure bandwidth shaping?

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:23:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Luke S Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com> wrote:

> Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com> writes:
> > I would like to implement bandwidth shaping after the downloaded bytes
> have
> > reached the limit
> > rather that suspending the service. So the user would get assigned to a
> > different radius group with
> > lesser bandwidth.
> >
> > How does one go about doing that?
>
> As for detecting who needs to be limited, you're going to have to
> tie that into your billing system.  Me, I do it by hand.
>
> as for actually doing the limiting, here is a writeup chris did
> on limiting traffic with tc.
>

> http://wiki.xen.prgmr.com/xenophilia/2008/06/traffic-shaping-with-tc-and-xe.html

I guess I should have described my requirement in detail. I do not want to
use tc
for bandwidth shaping. I would like to handle that in freeside and
freeradius.

Freeside has an option to suspend the user if the downloaded bytes are over
the
limit specified in the package. But instead of suspending the user I would
like to
assign the user to a different radius group with lower bandwidth. So when
the user
reconnects to the service (with different settings in the sql db for radius
for that user),
he will using lower bandwidth.

I have created a radius group with a lower bandwidth. Is there any option in
freeside
to execute scripts or hooks when the suspend event is recognized. Does the
suspension
of accounts happen from freeside-daily script?

Amitay.