[freeside-users] Failing to create database on FreeBSD 1.7 install

Gerard J. Cerchio gjpc at ob1net.net
Mon Jan 28 00:00:03 PST 2008

Ivan Kohler wrote:
> My first suggestion would be to post ALL of the information requested
> when posting a problem to the mailing list.  Including the full version
> number.  You should know better.  :)
>
> Perhaps you can make up for it by following up with a brief note on the
> solution.  http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#followup
>
> p.s. please be more careful editing the installation instructions.
> and why Mail::Internet 1.77?

Hi Ivan,

Good to hear from you!

The problem with the database was resolved by back dating DBi::DBSchema
to version 0.32.  I thought that I did post that Madalisto's suggestion
was a winner. Here is my exchange with Madalitso:

    I back dated DBi::DBSchema to 0.32 and the postgres data base created
    and I was able to add users.

    This did not fix the MySQL problem.

    I'll note the wiki...

    Thanks Madalitso!

    Gerard J. Cerchio wrote:

    > I am using postgresql-server-7.4.19.  Should I still back date DBiDBSchema?
    >
    > Madalitso Mzandu wrote:
    >

    >> If you are using 1.7.2 make sure that you are using DBi::DBSchema 0.32
    >> the newer versions cause this error.
    >>
    >> On Jan 26, 2008 2:47 AM, Gerard J. Cerchio <gjpc at ob1net.net
    >> <mailto:gjpc at ob1net.net>> wrote:
    >>
    >>     Hi All,
    >>
    >>     I am trying to just build a new freeside. When I get to create the
    >>     database I get:
    >>
    >>     NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
    >>     "cust_pay_refund_pkey" for table "cust_pay_refund"
    >>     DBIx::DBSchema::Table->unique method is deprecated; see ->indices at
    >>     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/FS/Record.pm line 727
    >>     Can't call method "singles" on an undefined value at
    >>     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/FS/Record.pm line 727.
    >>
    >>     Any suggestions?
    >>
    >>     Gerard
    >>     ____________________________

I could not get MySQL, my preferred DB, to work for the life of me.
freeside-setup kept on declaring SQL syntax errors in all sorts of
configurations

The Mail:::Internet 2.02 is missing a method, sorry I did not note its
name (php something or other) backdating to version 1.77,  dated May of
last year provided the missing method.

If I posted all the version information that I tried it would have only
confused the issue; VM's make so easy to try and try and try....

I thought I was being very careful editing the install instructions.  I
did not remove anything, I just added and did a little reformatting for
consistency. But if you think I was being careless, I shall refrain from
any further edits.

I was rather disappointed that the VM appliance was purged to the point
of not being able to do a simple "cpan install
Business::OnlinePayment::TCLink" to get a working system. This single
command would have covered my needs. So I had to scratch new install on
my favored system, Free BSD, after multiple Debian failed attempts. I
did not follow the Freed BSD instruction because I prefer the ports.
This crippled VM appliance is the reason I took my name off the
consulting list.

I still think that freeside is great solution and my 1.5 pre6 has
performed flawlessly for years. I had a bit of time and knew that the
hard drive on my freeside machine is reaching life limit so I decided to
upgrade to a VM'd 1.72 even though the databases are very different.  I
did not bother to csv my 30 customers into the 1.72. Side by side copy
and paste took a lot less time. I am not really concerned that I am
losing my payment history, never really needed it. I only turn the
machine on for 12 hours a month, so a VM is the best solution on my
quad-core house server.

I wonder if you would find it in your heart to provide a VM appliance
that could do just simple CC transactions in the next iteration? You can
leave out RADIUS, provisioning, RT and Customer self serve. Just a
little VM that us tiny community ISP's can db dump into so we do not get
so far behind the latest and greatest.

Best Regards,

Gerard
www.ob1net.net