[freeside-users] Upgrade Question

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Sun Feb 10 09:19:31 PST 2008

Richard Siddall wrote:
> You may be able to avoid installing 1.5.8 if you copy all the data files
> across from the old server, including the dbdef.dbi.* directory, and
> restore the database but don't do the dbdef-create step but instead go
> straight into the 1.7.2 upgrade instructions.  (The data and
> configuration files should be in approximately the same state when you
> start the upgrade as if you had been running 1.5.8 on the new machine.)
>   You can't check the restore was successful until the 1.7.2 upgrade is
> complete.

I just got a chance to try this approach, migrating a 1.5.7 installation
to 1.7-CVS on a new machine with a different OS.  It seemed to work.
The only problems were a complaint about an existing index, cust_main16,
and the htpasswd values being corrupted.

I have not exhaustively tested the new installation, but the web GUI
does let me make minor changes to the user preferences, which indicates
the database is in good shape.

I did this with RPMs, but it should work using the tarball.

To summarize:

1/ Bring up the new server.  Install PostgreSQL, httpd, etc.
2/ Install the new version of Freeside on the new server.
3/ Start PostgreSQL, create the freeside database user and the freeside
database.
4/ Copy all the configuration files from the old server, including the
dbdef file.
5/ Dump the database on the old server.
6/ Load the database dump on the new server.
7/ Follow the instructions for upgrading to the new version of Freeside
from the old version.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall