[freeside-users] Encryption

Peter Bowen pbowen at corp.untd.com
Fri Mar 16 15:44:04 PDT 2007

Steve,

Wiki says....

"5. Save and restart the web server - just in case."

:)  I just removed the "just in case."

The public and private keys are stored in the same place as other
configuration directives.  You don't have to have them both an all machines.
Just the public key is required.  However, you won't be able to bill now or
run a billing on a public only box.

We have a cluster.  Half of the cluster doesn't have access to the private
key.  Most employees do not have access to the boxes with the private key.
The private key boxes have additional network protection as well.

Be as paranoid as you want, but remember that boxes w/o the key can't bill
customers.

If a hacker gets in, it's no longer just a select and go.  With encryption
turned on, he has to load up the modules, write a script to use the freeside
libs, and then get the info off the system.  Nothing is hacker proof, but
it's easier to go after much softer targets.

Employees are an entirely different problem...

-Peter