[freeside-users] Licensing

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Fri Jul 6 01:35:32 PDT 2007

Hi,

Freeside will be changing license to the GNU AGPL v3 upon the final
release of the v3 revision.

AGPL is a copyleft license, based upon the GPL, that closes the "webapp
loophole".

I want Freeside to be free for everyone to use and modify, but I don't
feel it is equitable to our community for large companies to fork
private versions of the software and sell access to them in a
hosted/SaaS/ASP capacity to avoid having to make the source code of
their derivitive works available.  This seems to violate the spirit of
the GPL and copyleft, if not the letter (hence why it is called a
"loophole").

Under the AGPL, companies would still be permitted to sell hosted
access, as long as they made the source of their modifications
available.

Interested parties are invited to particpate in the AGPL draft
discussion: http://gplv3.fsf.org/agplv3-dd1-guide.html

Folks simply *running* Freeside (not selling hosted access to it) would
be unaffected by this license change.