[freeside-users] Freeside capabilities

Ivan Kohler ivan at 420.am
Thu Nov 23 23:00:20 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:42:29PM -0600, No Levity wrote:
> I have recently inherited a Freeside installation for domain name mgmt
> to maintain (specs
> below). I've come across many "backend" hacks that seem to bypass the
> Freeside admin interface and insert records directly in the DB. Other
> hacks seem to query the DB and then communicate with the registry
> directly. I'm
> still working my way through the docs, but my question is this: Does
> Freeside support domain registrar operations "out of the box,"
> assuming it's been configured correctly?

Not currently, no.

> Or are "backend" hacks an expected part of the Freeside experience?

No, normally folks who need new features write or sponsor them as normal
customizations rather than hacks for other people to inherit, and then
contribute them to the official project for inclusion.  :)

> I'm trying to determine the best course of action here: Whether to
> simply scrap the current installation and start over (with the
> exisiting populated DB), or continue to work with the backend DB
> hacks.  I would prefer to use Freeside as it was designed to be used,
> but if there is some functionality that doesn't currently exist that
> requires backend hacks (such as bulk transfers, bulk locks/unlocks,
> etc.), I'll head down that path. Suggestions appreciated!

Suggest you port your "hacks" to more reasonable patches against current
code that can be contributed to base project's source, so you can
eventually upgrade to current code.

Otherwise you're just digging yourself further down into a one-off local
dead-end fork of 1.5.7.  :)