Unable to add records to domain because SOA is missing

Scott Edwards supadupa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 04:27:35 PDT 2005

Some of the domains I have are empty. There are no records, not even
an SOA record to being with.  Trying to add any record type results in
this error:

Error processing your request

 Your request could not be processed because of the following error:

soa record not found; can't increment serial

I have recreated this with atleast one method, but I'm not sure how to
fix it now.  If a domain is slaved to an ip, all records (yup, that
SOA to!) are deleted and replaced with a psedorecord to say this is
slaved to the nameserver at ip x.x.x.x.

Some domains I've simply recreated.  However, I do have a few domains
with this problem for email accounts, so I can't simply delete the
domain record and start over (unless I do the same to all the email
accounts).  This is not currently affecting dns for my domains because
I've falsified the settings to sidestep the live zonefiles and
named.conf.

Thank you,

Scott Edwards
--