[freeside] Freeside v1.5.0pre4: Almost there :)

Jamyn freeside at wiretapped.us
Wed Mar 24 20:26:39 PST 2004

Quoting Jamyn <freeside at wiretapped.us>:

<snip>

> When starting up the freeside-selfservice-server through the init script,
> I receive these errors in the log:
>

> [server] [Wed Mar 24 20:25:11 2004] [35175] receiving packet from client
> [server] [Wed Mar 24 20:25:11 2004] [35175] Magic number checking on
> storable file failed at ../../lib/Storable.pm (autosplit
<snip>

> I cannot find this file (freeside-selfserv) anywhere in the distribution.

Yep; I'm a bonehead - I should have used "ps auxww" instead of "ps auxw" ;
the output was truncated.  It was actually trying to use
freeside-selfservice-server.  My remaining problem was that although the
selfservice.localhost.log file was owned by freeside - the
selfservice.localhost.writelock file was owned by root, because I was
running the startup script for freeside as root - that caused problems as
well.

Changing the ownership for the 011.freeside.sh script to "freeside" and
then starting it as freeside resolved that issue.

I can now successfully execute the command:

ssh -T -o BatchMode=yes localhost /usr/local/sbin/freeside-selfserv

.. as the freeside user, and I receive the message:

su-2.05b$ ssh -T -o BatchMode=yes localhost
/usr/local/sbin/freeside-selfservice-server freeside localhost
socket: Protocol not supported
freeside-selfservice-server to localhost started with pid 37035

Here's the question: I removed IPv6 support from my kernel, which causes
the "socket: protocol not supported" error message from ssh.

The socket error disappears if you run it with the -4 option, like:

ssh -4 -T -o BatchMode=yes localhost
/usr/local/sbin/freeside-selfservice-server freeside localhost

Is that ssh error message causing freeside to give up and try again?

Thanks all.  -J