FATAL 1: IDENT authentication failed for radius export

Roger Alumbaugh Roger at Alumbaugh.com
Fri Jun 18 02:35:19 PDT 2004

I seem to be stuck on getting the radius export from the freeside server
to go to my postgresql (7.2.1)server.  I am using freeradius1.0.0-pre2
and used the scripts provided with it to populate the sql database

Here is what I have set up:

Debian linux 3.0 stable on both . (perl 5.6.1)
Sign up server is running outside the firewall and is connecting fine
with the freeside server
-         this is also the server I am setting up the postgresql for
radius on
I have the radius database created on the signup server and owned by the
radius user  - encoding is sql_ascii
Opening the radius database it appears to be provisioned ok with 19 rows
of data if I do a \d
I scanned the ports on the radius server and it is listening on port
5432

So it looks to me like the sql server is doing what it is supposed to.

Now on the freeside box I have installed via apt-get:
Libdbd-pg-perl and dbishell so I should have dbi and dbd (along with the
other required packages).  Neither had errors
on the install and looked to go in just fine.

I have created some users via the sign up server to test it so the
freeside box has some users and passwords in the database.

As far as I know I have installed all the other prerequisite modules on
the freeside server.  This server is also running postgres.
I have created an export on the freeside server (tried both with realms
and without) for sql radius with the following:

            Dbi datasource DBI:Pg:dbname=radius     (tried several
combinations but this one gave me the smallest error)
            Database username: radius
            Database password: the password for my radius user
The export host is the ip address of the sql server
In configuration I have tried different combinations for radius-password
and radius-ip

When I do a freeside-sqlradius-reset roger (roger being a valid freeside
user in mapsecrets) while logged in as the freeside user

I get back:

DBI->connect(dbname=radius) failed: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication
failed for user "radius" at /usr/local/bin/freeside-sqlradius-reset line
24
FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "radius" at
/usr/local/bin/freeside-sqlradius-reset line 24.

At this juncture I am not sure which part I should be looking at for the
error, postgres, freeside, or the prerequisite perl modules.  My gut
says it is a postgres server config problem but am not sure where to
look or if that is the right place to start.

If anybody has insights I would appreciate it very much. But please
speak to me like a 2 year old as I know very little
about linux or postgres and am coming from a windows background.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Roger