"Premature end of script headers" error on all .cgi files

David Mcguire davidmcguire.geo at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 06:35:14 PDT 2003

Hi! I'm trying to get freeside running on my machine,
and I've gotten pretty far.

Pertinent information:
Linux: Mandrake 9.1 (I'm a newbie, I apologize)
DB: PostgreSQL 7.3.2
Perl: 5.80
Other info:
Freeradius 0.81 is using PostgreSQL for it's
authentication and that is working fine.
Nothing else is being run on this box. Not even a mail
server... yet.

All of the above has been confirmed operational. I
have Apache-ASP installed but I am having a hard time
determining if it's working above & beyond traditional
Perl.

After many false starts, misconfigs, and other issues,
I'm down to the bitter end of configuration.
I have gotten ASP working, I've gotten the files
installed, I'm running Apache as 'freeside' and I can
get the freeside main menu. If I click on any of the
links that actually connect to .cgi files, I get a 500
Internal Server Error on my browser, and it dutifully
registers an error in error_log:

Premature end of script headers: config-view.cgi,
referer: http://192.168.1.201/cgi-perl/aspdocs
<<
It's all internal for right now, hence the private IP
address.

I've run other .cgi files (test.cgi, for instance,
which gives all the variables for Perl) in the
directory space, and freeside-queued is running and
has not bombed my system.

I'm sure I've just missed some small piece of the
puzzle, but I don't know what. Any Ideas?

Dave M.