[freeside] bandwidth usage

ivan ivan at 420.am
Tue Mar 11 21:11:36 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:21:27AM -0800, Aaron Collins wrote:
> I'm going to attempt to add the ablity to do bandwidth utilization
> charges in fresside based on the 95 percentile. And charge for over
> usage, can you recomend a good starting point?  I'm reading through the
> docs & mail archives and I notice several people have started this great
> hunt.  I plan on using MRTG with the 95.pl script from sean adams to
> create the averages. Then I'll throw those into a sql db.  What I'm
> wondering is, is their a way to add a hook into freeside so that at the
> end of the billing period, it will run a custom script that I write and
> pass it a value like a (username || userid) and be able to add the
> returned value on to the overall monthly bill?

Nothing needs to be added.  Package definitions already evaluate the
"setup" and "recur" fields to determine the resulting price.  Take a
look at the package definition edit and FS::part_pkg.

>  If you feel that I'm aproaching this wrong, could you offer a better
> solution?

My preference would be to put the raw SNMP data into an SQL database and
using something like RRDtool or seafelt and then do the averages with
SQL, rather than muck around with MRTG and scripts first, but I'm not
actively working on it, so I don't get much say, do I?  :)