[freeside] mediation + freeside

Lal, Deepak (Contractor) dlal at harris.com
Thu Jul 24 10:12:25 PDT 2003

Thanks for the comments Ivan. A few notes:

>I'd prefer querying the raw (Netflow, LFAP, whatever) data source and
>dumping to the database in real-time rather than using intermediate
>batch text processing tools

The problem is that LFAP/NetFlow cannot be queried. The LFAP packets are sent
from the device to a LFAP "listener" in regular intervals.

Another issue is that LFAP protocol specifies two different PDU's - one
containing flow information (ID, Source, Destination, port, etc.) and other
containing the data (octets in, octets out, etc.)

This automatically implies that correlation needs to be done to align data from
these two PDU's. This in turn excludes a real-time dumping to the db.

Probably using an external data source would be easier - Modifying the existing
schema might lead to other unnecessary problems.

Deepak