[freeside] freeradius using freeside's database schema

ivan at 420.am ivan at 420.am
Fri Jul 11 00:46:49 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:55:37PM -0400, Tony Carter wrote:
> > From: ivan at 420.am [mailto:ivan at 420.am]
> >
> > Use an "sqlradius" export to export to a FreeRADIUS database; don't have
> > services query your Freeside database directly.
> >
> Thanks, but this bring a opens a boat load of questions.
> 1) Why not? Is this for security reasons?

Security is one concern.

> 2) How often do you export?

Unless your job queue is backed up, sqlradius exports happen
immediately.  Exports which require batching (such as bind) are noted as
such in the export's detail, as opposed to real-time exports such as
sqlradius.

> 4) If freeradius does not write to the freeside db then how does the session
> table get populated (excuse me if I don't truly understand the session
> tables true meaning)

I'm not aware of anyone using the session manager with FreeRADIUS, which
maintains its own session database.

You can optionally use the "Base charge plus charge per-hour (and for
data) from an external sqlradius radacct table" package definition price
plan in conjunction with sqlradius exports.