mod_perl nightmare

RFI Admin rfi at ruralfree.net
Wed Apr 9 13:25:48 PDT 2003

I am attempting to install freeside 1.4.0 for about the 4th time on redhat 8.0 (tried it once on redhat 7.3 with the same results). When I try to configure apache, this is what happens:

# PerlModule Apache::ASP
bash: PerlModule: command not found

I gathered from apache.org that the "command not found" error is caused by mod_perl not being enabled. However, their instructions for enabling mod_perl result in httpd not being able to start, returning a "nothing to do" error during bootup.

I have attempted installations of various previous versions of apache & mod_perl, which evidently don't get along well with redhat 8.0.

I have posted questions on how to enable my version of mod_perl (1.99_05-3) with my version of httpd (2.0.40-8) to several forums & newsgroups for perl & redhat, but evidently no one can help.

Is there a different command than PerlModule with mod_perl 1.99? Is there an unpublished method of enabling mod_perl 1.99?

Sorry for posting this question here. I tried elsewhere, and this is my last resort. Any help would be appreciated.