String character limits in part_export_option?

James McDonald james at navarette.net
Thu Sep 19 00:38:08 PDT 2002

I am trying to get a custom export configuration working and I'm running
into a problem. The remote communication between Freeside and the target
machine is working fine, and I'm able to SSH from the freeside account on
the server to the root account on the remote machine without using a
password. I have used the "shellcommands" template as a starting point and
entered the commands and local variables ($username, etc.) in the
appropriate fields. The export failed, and in troubleshooting the problem, I
found that the shell string was clipped about midway through. The original
string is about 92 characters long. After saving the export, it is cut to
about 58 characters. I noticed that the cut occurs at a " (quote) character.
Removing the offending character seems to keep it from happening. I can also
put the entire string directly into the database and it appears intact when
I open the record in freeside, but saving the record in freeside causes the
string to be truncated again. Since the remote command requires double
quotes around a string, is there any way to enter it into the freeside field
with some sort of escape character?

Thanks in advance!

James