[freeside] cust_main.cgi and Credit Card Number Display

Dave Burgess burgess at mitre.org
Thu Jun 27 14:12:27 PDT 2002

ivan wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 12:05:50PM -0400, Stephen D. Bechard wrote:
> > This recommendation comes from the Accounting Department. :)
> >
> > Credit Cards are normally tracked and verified by the
> > last 4 digits of not the first 4, so they wanted to see
> > xxxxxxxxxxx8906 instead of 1234xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> How about a reference?  Failing that, how about confirmation from
> other folks?

Confirmed here.  In fact, I noticed the other day that all of the credit card
receipts I've received in the past couple of weeks were like this - even the one
from the gas pump.  My ATM receipts say the same thing.  I also just ordered
something from an on-line company, and they use the same scheme on their order
confirmation E-Mails.

Actually, it makes sense.  I know lots of people with three or four Visa cards,
all of which have the same first four digits.

> > They also informed me that not all Credit Card numbers have the
> > same amount of digits, so I used the length of $payinfo to get
> > the start and end points of sbstr. Seems to work okay.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Aren't there a few other places you'd need to make this chane also?

It will be a problem anyplace we print out an obfuscated CC number.  Everywhere
else, it shouldn't make any difference.

> --
> _ivan

Dave