[freeside] Evaluating Freeside

ivan ivan at 420.am
Mon Jan 21 06:26:26 PST 2002

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:41:29AM -0700, Todd Miller wrote:
> I have been evaluating the billing portion of Freeside via the web demo and
> by reading the mailing list archives.  Below are some of my findings.  I
> just wanted to see if what I have found is true and see if any progress has
> been made in any of the areas.  We are trying to determine our greatest
> needs from Freeside and where we should begin with our contributions to the
> project.

If you're interested in contributing, I encourage you to get and setup the
current 1.4.0 snapshot.  The web demo is running pretty old code at this
point.

> *  There is currently no auto suspend/release feature in the web interface.
> Does anyone have a functioning script to accomplish this or is this
> something that needs to be worked on?

included in 1.4.0

> *  The web interface doesn't have a way to create refunds or actually
> transfer funds to a customer.

Incorrect.  Even 1.3.1 has the ability to create credits and refunds with
the web interface.

> *  I don't see anything in the web interface and have not read anything
> about adjustments.  How would one handle one of the following situations
> with Freeside.
>
> 	A customer is to be charged $100 for sending SPAM on the network.

Create a pacakge for the $100 charge and add it to the customer in
question.  Alternately, add an existing package instead, and then
customize the pricing using the "Customize pricing" link.

>   	You comp a month of service for a customer.

Go to "post credit" and do so.

> *  Taxes can be added at the county, state and country level.  A little
> confused by the web interface of this section???

That's not a question, that's a statement with question marks at the end.

> *  The current payment types are credit card, check/cash and comp.  Are
> there any plans or is anyone currently working on the inclusion of ACH as a
> payment type?

I've heard of some people working on it but haven't received any code.

> *  Freeside does not appear to support billing periods, everything is billed
> on the anniversary date.

By default, yes.  Billing expressions can frob the dates to implement
billing periods/prorating - I've written and deployed such things for
customers - but there isn't a simple web interface to write them yet.

> *  There has been some talk about usage billing on the mailing list.  Is
> anyone working to add this as additional functionality?

Similar answer to above.  Billing expressions can be based on usage and
I've written and deployed such things - but there isn't a simple web
interface to write the expressions.