fatal: Can't get REMOTE_USER!

blarson blarson at slaxlan.org
Fri Apr 5 15:31:26 PST 2002

I'm running freeside version 1.3.1 and having difficulty creating serice definitions because I get the error "fatal: Can't get REMOTE_USER! for cgi CGI=HASH(0x814515c) at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/FS/UID.pm line 189."  I am running apache 1.3.24 and am authenticating using an .htaccess file.  This system is also running freebsd 4.4(updated a few times) and mysql for it's database engine.  As you can see it's also running perl version 5.6.1.  I've made sure that all the required modules are installed using CPAN but I still recieve this error.  I trolled though the mailing list archive and the only thing I could find was that this error happenend when the user wasn't authenticated on apache's side of things but this is not true for me.  I am authenticating successfully.   I have also reinstalled the freeside database with no results.  If anybody had any ideas on what might be wrong they would be very appreciated.