[freeside] Problem with BEGIN statement in fs-setup

ivan ivan at 420.am
Thu Oct 25 01:02:25 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 12:31:53AM -0700, Louis Erickson wrote:

> Hi there!  I've looked at the website and freeside looks like it'll be a
> very useful package which does many cool things.  I'm hoping I can get it
> to work, before my hand-cobbled together Excel sheets make me insane.  =)
>
> I'm having a couple of problems.  One, I know how to work around, and I
> will probably submit patches when I'm ready.  The other is more of a
> problem - I have no idea what's wrong.
>
> I have gone through the installation list and installed all the modules
> requested, and updated to the current version on CPAN.  I also know that
> my database and DBD module work, from other working perl applications.
>
> I'm running under Linux 2.4.4-64GB-SMP.  Perl is 5.6.0.
> DBI seems to be version 11.3.

> DBD is DBD::InterBase version 1.24.
> Yes, I realize I'm asking for a world of hurt by using a strange
> database, but that's something I think I can cope with, and I like
> InterBase.  I don't think it's causing the problem, either.

You'll probably need to add support for InterBase to DBIx::DBSchema
<http://www.420.am/dbix-dbschema/>.  I don't know how well the default
support will cope with InterBase.  Driver writer's guide is at
<http://www.420.am/dbix-dbschema/DBIx/DBSchema/DBD.html>.

> One of the problems I have is related to InterBase; but I have a solution
> for it. Unfourtenately, it requires a minor patch.
>
> [snip]
>
> So, rather than the impossible
> conf.DBI:InterBase:db=/opt/interbase/data/freeside.gdb, I wind up using
> conf.DBI:InterBase:db=.opt.interbase.data.freeside.gdb instead, which is
> somewhat fathomable.

Okay.

>  When I get things working to my satisfaction, I'll
> make patches available to the developers.  I'm hoping this is the biggest
> change needed for Interbase support.

Hehe, I doubt it.

> The problem I have that I can't work around is while trying to run
> fs-setup.  I get the following error, and I don't know why.
>
> Running fs-setup produces:
>
> ./fs-setup: line 140: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
> ./fs-setup: line 140: `BEGIN { $FS::Record::setup_hack = 1; }'

For some reason, you're trying to run fs-setup with your shell.  Look:

ivan at rootwood:~/freeside-1.3.1/bin$ bash fs-setup
fs-setup: line 140: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
fs-setup: line 140: `BEGIN { $FS::Record::setup_hack = 1; }'

Perhaps you typed `. fs-setup' when you meant `./fs-setup'