[freeside] freeside integrated w/RADIUS server?

ivan ivan at 420.am
Sat May 5 02:22:16 PDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 09:12:55AM -0400, Ed Henderson wrote:
> I will be installing ICRADIUS and am considering freeside.  I like the
> combination of the two since both can use MySQL as a common db.  But I
> was looking thru the freeside docs and came across the statement:
>
>  "Some RADIUS servers (such as Radiator and ICRADIUS) will authenticate
> directly out of an SQL database. In these cases, it is reccommended that
> you replicate the data to an external RADIUS machine rather than running
> the RADIUS server on your Freeside machine."
>
> Why is it recommended for ICRADIUS and freeside to *NOT* use the same
> database?  It seems to me to be an advantage if they both used the same
> database.  Please enlighten me.

Your Freeside machine should be on a separate, secure network segment,
behind a firewall.  It should not accept connections from the outside
world.

Your RADIUS servers, on the other hand, are fairly public machines.  They
need to communicate with all of the terminal servers on your network.  It
is better if the database they have accessable has the miniumum amount of
information necessary to authenticate RADIUS users, rather than the full
information in the Freeside database (customer name/address/credit card
etc.).

--
meow