freeside integrated w/RADIUS server?

Ed Henderson Ed.Henderson at Certainty.net
Fri Apr 27 06:18:19 PDT 2001

I will be installing ICRADIUS and am considering freeside.  I like the combination of the two since both can use MySQL as a common db.  But I was looking thru the freeside docs and came across the statement:

 "Some RADIUS servers (such as Radiator and ICRADIUS) will authenticate directly out of an SQL database. In these cases, it is reccommended that you replicate the data to an external RADIUS machine rather than running the RADIUS server on your Freeside machine."

Why is it recommended for ICRADIUS and freeside to *NOT* use the same database?  It seems to me to be an advantage if they both used the same database.  Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Ed.