[freeside] 1.2.3 released

Brian Walters Brian at mylinuxisp.com
Sat Mar 4 07:53:08 PST 2000

This list seems to have become littered with folks who don't fully
understand how these projects work. Ivan, let me say that I really like
Freeside and I'm looking forward to looking at the new changes just as soon
as I get some downtime after our move.

Folks, don't blame the Application for not being able to build the database.
It's a simple configuration issue somewhere. If you see a feature that
Freeside doesn't have but some $10K program does, don't gripe about it. Jump
in and contribute. For those of you who don't have the programming talent,
just contribute money or something to a programmer that does. If I need
improvements to an open source project I'll regularly pay one of my contract
programmers to do the mods if I can't do them myself, and then I'll usually
submit them back to the project so I don't have to maintain them over new
releases.

I can promise everyone, it took perseverance to get Freeside 1.2.2 running,
it wasn't an rpm you just installed and started using, but there are no
secrets. You have the source code so it's pretty easy to figure out where
the program breaks when you are trying to install it. I will admit that a
little more info in the setup would be nice, but there aren't any secrets
missing.

I don't want Ivan to get discouraged because the list members just seem to
gripe about everything. This program has great potential and has cost me
very little in expenses and lost billings. Just a few months ago we found
out that our wonderful legislators in Texas got some hair brained idea to
not tax the first $25 of a person's internet bill each month, and only tax
80% of server co-lo fees. It took approximately 2 hours to adjust Freeside
to handle the tax properly and now we are able to bill our customers
correctly without having to issue any weird refunds like one commercial
vendor recommended.

Thanks for a great program Ivan!

Brian Walters                                        281-494-UNIX(8649)
www.MyLinuxISP.com                       A Friendly ISP for Linux Users