[freeside] Billing and other questions

ivan ivan at 420.am
Mon Jun 5 23:38:45 PDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 06:28:10PM +1200, Gordon Smith wrote:
> Thanks Ivan. This setup is an interim measure, since they are a small
> ISP with no money  :-)
>
> I'll have a look at the perl stuff - I'm still learning perl at the
> moment...
>
> I do have another suggestion, that you probably won't agree with.

Hehe, yep, you're right.

> Thats having the option of running freeside as the nobody user, rather
> than using wrappers for the CGI scripts.

Nope.  This would, in effect, mean that the nobody user would have full
access to your customer database, and (if exporting is setup) root access
to other machines.  Since the nobody user is the default for "unsafe"
daemons etc., this is a really bad idea (despite the fact that your
Freeside machine should be secured).

> If used with ssl and .htaccess,

Umm, you should be using SSL and .htaccess (or one of the database
equivalents) *regardless*.

> it would still be quite secure. The problem with suexec is that the CGI
> scripts must reside in the root web, not in sub-folders, although this
> can be changed by hacking the source for suexec.

Umm, I don't understand your terminology here.  What's a `root web'?
What's a `sub-folder'?  If I read them as `DocumentRoot' and
`subdirectory' your statment is false, and if you are hacking suEXEC
you're likely to break any security you've gained by using it.  See the
warnings at <http://www.apache.org/docs/suexec.html>.

suEXEC is a sub-optimal solution in the long run, anyway.  Like setuid
execution, it's only supported because of the problems people have getting
mod_perl running.

--
meow