[freeside] svc_acct_sm - Domain mail aliases

Shez shez at nsl.net
Tue Jul 18 04:22:37 PDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, you wrote:
>> Yeah, it just seems slightly unnatural to have entries in svc_acct for remote
>> addresses - if sm_acct_sm is purely for virtual email aliases then there
>> doesn't seem to be much milage in distinguishing between local and remote
>> addresses.   Surely svc_acct should only contain local accounts of one sort
>> another?
>
>Why?
Because I'm not sure in what situation storing non local addresses in
svc_acct would be useful apart from mail forwarding.  And for mail forwarding it
seems unnecessarily complex compared with storing a fully qualified email
address. If there are such use

>> I shall see about modifying sm_acct_sm, and providing such an export script.
>> Unfortuantly we it will be qmail only as I don't grok sendmail.
>
>qmail+fastforward, specifically.  Stock qmail has a strong notion of
>"local" addresses.
True, it does.  However it will happily forward to <arbitrary at email-address> and
work out for it self whether this is a local or remote address.  This is part
of qmail's job and something that the higher level applications should be able
to generally ignore.  If your not using qmail+fastforward then using the domuid
as the user who ``control's'' a particular domain would work in stock qmail.

Then you would have:
svc_acct_sm - Domain mail aliases
         svcnum - primary key
         domsvc - Domain (by svcnum)
         domuid - Account (by uid)
         domuser - domuser @ Domain forwards to destination
         destination - address to forward mail for domuser at domain to

And you would create a qmail virtualdomains file with a
``domain:account''
line for each distinct (domain,account) pair.
and do an ``echo destination > ~domuid/.qmail-domuser'' to setup the forwarding.
I didn't want to think about doing this though as I have no idea how it would
interact with the sendmail code.

>Another qmail addon package you may want to look at is
>vpopmail/vchkpw <http://www.inter7.com/vchkpw/>
Cheers for this, our existing systems were setup before this package was
available and as yet we've not had time time migrate.  Of course having all the
appropriate data in Freeside makes this a whole lot easier :)

>> Okay, but it does seem odd to have arbitrary username domain pairs in the
>> svc_acct table.
>
>Why?
If there are other uses for having remote addresses in this table then fair
enough.  If not then why not allow forwarding to arbitrary addresses in the
intuitive way?

Cheers for your feedback
Shez