[freeside] Virtual mail domains

ivan ivan at 420.am
Mon Jul 3 06:43:45 PDT 2000

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 12:44:20AM -0700, Rene Dudfield wrote:

> >From: "Kenny Elliott" <kenny at neoserve.com>
> >To: <ivan-freeside at sisd.com>
> >Subject: [freeside] Virtual mail domains
> >Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:38:22 -0500
> >
> >Ivan:
> >
> >	I'm looking at my vpopmail problem again (supporting users in
> >different domains with he same username). Do you foresee any problems
> >with creating usernames as me at mydomain.com in freeside? Basically my
> >though was to allow us to create an email only service that we could
> >put the full email address in as the username and then have the user
> >creation routines create the mail user under the proper vpopmail
> >domain. I believe this would cause a problem for some Radius' use
> >@whatever as the realm name but I could prevent export of usernames
> >with an @ in them to Radius by modifying the export script.
> >

> You still have the problem that the radius server will only authenticate the
> modified name, not the @ name.
>

> What about changing your radius server to authenticate @ names?  Or is this
> a problem on the client side?  What advantages do the non opensource radius
> servers have anyway?  They seem pretty simple.

Radiator's quite flexible, and good for ISPs with complicated
authentication or logging needs.  Some of the more expensive commercial
servers are supposed to scale well; I think Lucent has a commercial
product along those lines.

My current recommendation is ICRADIUS, until FreeRADIUS is stable.

--
meow