Setup is impossible

Dennis Megarry dennis at megarry.com
Sun Dec 10 08:52:26 PST 2000

I have tried for the last 5 days to get freeside setup on my Salckware 7.1 box with no luck..

I have read and re-read the doc's and have found them the most incomplete I have ever seen!  I know this is opensource and ivan has worked his butt off to get this app out to us.  But someone, somewhere at sometime must have written something better for the installation docs..

My adventure began with the make...  (My apache is located in /var/lib/apache)..

First thing I noticed is that the install did not create a directory /usr/local/etc/freeside, and since the dir was not created, no files were place in them.  The config.html file leave alot of the configuration to the imagaination of the developers.  there is a file "fs-setup" located in one of the directories, but I can not find any reference to this file anywhere in the doc's.

I have not found anything that helps you setup the intial mysql database (a freeside.sql would help like you wouldn't believe!)

I keep getting errors after errors..

Such as:

Software error:
Insecure dependency in unlink while running with -T switch at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/Date/Manip.pm line 34.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (dennis at megarry.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
Can't get secrets: No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/FS/UID.pm line 224.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (dennis at megarry.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

I created the dir "/usr/local/etc/freeside/conf.DBI:mysql:freeside" and place the secrets file in there, still no good..

Doesn't someone have a directory listing of where these files should be place?

Dennis