Install Docs - Apache Authentication

Collin Baillie gvlink at tropinet.com
Tue Oct 5 07:59:44 PDT 1999

Hi,

Just trying to install FreeSide on my RedHat 6.0 (eeeuuuck!) server. Got the
perl mods installed ok. Except Term-Query. It makes, and installs, but the
test fails. they say in their readme it doesn't work, so I'll take it it's
installed ok.

I decided to use MySQL which took a while to work out etc..

I have yet to install SSH. I have it, I just have to install it...

I've gotten almost all the way to the end, (and man did it take some net
use/downloading/reading/system configuring), but I'm unsure on two items.

1. When you say 'Restrict access to this web interface' to whom does one
restrict the access?? The freeside user? Or my-self the admin who will use it?
I have restricted it to myself.

2. With the configuration files:
    (i)     In the 'mapsecrets' file, what entries do I need to enter?
    (ii)    What other files do I use? What do I put in them... some sample
configuration files would be good in the documentation I think. Also file
names. eg:

                   Do you want me to make a directory called:
`/usr/local/etc/freeside/conf.DBI:mysql:freeside'  (is this a valid
filename?!?!)
                   And store files like:         address, domain, home

and so on as separate files in this directory? The documentation seems
unclear. Maybe it's because it's late, I've been sitting at this computer all
day, and I got 4 hours of sleep yesterday... !?!? :)

I'm using just the default shadow passwd kind of authentication on my system.
We're just a house-hold with a permenant modem connection to the net, wanting
to sell a few friends dial-up access, and of course need billing, and can't
afford the $1000 U.S. most people are asking for their software.

Thanks for your time.

Collin Baillie
gvlink at tropinet.com