freeside setup questions

James Lum jimlum at sanfran.infinex.com
Wed Nov 3 16:38:54 PST 1999

Ivan,
Freeside 2.1.1 has been installed on a Redhat Linux box with mysql
and apache and fs-setup ran without errors ... finally...:-)
Some questions and problems(?):

A. database
   1. How do I completely uninstall a Freeside db that I initially
      set up for testing?  ....so that I can run fs-setup again?
      Need to know what files to rm?  and any other things Freeside
      saves between sessions about the DB.
   2. Will Freeside software support mulitple data bases?
      For example, one for testing and another for production,
      and another for "new features"?
      Do I need to setup multiple accounts or can I do this
      under one freeside account?

B. Configuration setup prior to running fs-setup:
   1. What is an erpcdmachines?  I've only seen the referenced files
      on a Bay Area radius box.
   2. Don't I have to copy the existing passwd, shadow, radius users,
      sendmail.cw, etc files from our shell, radius, account servers
      to our freeside server?  ...so that the current files are not
      overlaid when a new account/domain is added?  ...especially
      during testing.
   3. SUGGESTION:  Merge all of the Conf.* files into one
      perl file that is "required" by the Freeside perl code.
      That way, comments can be provided to show what should be
      filled in and what the defaults could be.  Doing a "vi Conf.*"
      doesn't allow me to scroll back to the previous file...:-(

C. Administration:
   1. Adding services:  Really needs some examples!
      - What does on/off mean?
      - What is the default?  ...examples are really needed.
      - SUGGESTION: hyper-link to pop-up html windows that contain
                    help and examples for each category.
      - When I add a "new service", then click "view all services",
        the services are not "shown" until I "reload" the web page.
        Is this normal?
      - we offer a static IP option for personal accounts.
        How/when do we specify the actual static IP?
      - Our domain customers can have personal accounts based in
        their domain /homev account structure; /homev/domain/homep/user
        This handles employees of a company's domain account and
        allows us to move them as a unit from one server to another.
        The domain has its own unique GID and the employee's account
        has the same GID as their parent domain.  This allows us to
        find them easily in the passwd file since they all share the
        same GID.
        Hummm...how do we define this service?
      - How do we delete a service?
   2. Adding packages:
      - SUGGESTION: Display an error message if no services were defined.
      - When I make changes, do an "apply", I have to reload the web
        page to see the changes.  Is something wrong with my browser?

This is as far as I've gotten for now.
thanks in advance,
Jim