How to manage users in multiple domains

dk smith dks at spies.com
Mon May 31 22:22:51 PDT 1999

Hello Ivan and others...

Thanks for making this cool software freely available...

I have a couple questions related to using the software with multiple
domains...

We have multiple domains (in different physical locations) for which we
provide POP mail accounts and shell accounts. We are beginning to think
that (one instantiation of) freeside is not sufficient to manage user
accounts across domains because it appears to want to write the SAME
password and mail alias files on all servers (shell and pop alike).
Specifically, we have newbiz.com and oldbiz.com. Neither has used freeside.
Obviously newbiz.com will start with freeside however we've heard horror
stories of upgrading exisitng userbases such as on oldbiz.com. After a
little experimentation we decided that we may have to run separate
instantiations to accomplish this. Thanks folks... for sharing your
knowledge and experience.

(note that user1 at newbiz.com is not the same as user1 at oldbiz.com)

-dk

PS: Is it also true the any account type that is more complex than a user
account -- e.g. shell or POP only -- must created/configured manually?
(that freeside does not attempt to write virtual server configs)

--
dks at spies.com   |   Perception is nine tenths of the law.