ISPAdmin Conversion Tool

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Fri Jun 4 05:16:06 PDT 1999

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 02:18:33PM +0000, Donald L. Greer wrote:
> Ivan Kohler wrote:
> > On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 09:14:32PM -0500, Donald L. Greer, Jr. wrote:
>
> > >   Also, has anyone tossed you a user signup page (other than the one
> > > that's included under "New User")?
> >
> > Not yet.
> >
> > >   If not, I'll just use the "New User" page as a template and run with
> > > it.
> >
> > I don't think that's such a good idea.  That isn't meant for users to add
> > themselves.
> >
> > You want to proxy it from a public web server to the Freeside machine,
> > which shouldn't be accepting connections from the outside world.
> > Something not completely unlike the stuff in the fs_passwd directory
> > (which lets users change their own passwords securely) is what I'd expect.
> >
> > If you'd like to work with me to write such a thing I'd be happy to make
> > the time to do so.
> >
>   Yeah, you're probably right.  Well, I've paid for Hurl's REG as well,
> so I guess I could modify REG to do this.

Okay.  I'm not personally interested in working on a proprietary product
gratis, though, so you'd be pretty much on your own.

> > >   Finally, has anyone posted any hacks to make Freeside work with Cyrus
> > > mail server?  I'm considering moving in that direction.
> >
> > One hopes that it wouldn't have to be a hack.  :)
> >
>   Well, as I understand it, Cyrus runs as a self-contained application.
> It doesn't use the system password and shadow files, so you have to
> connect to the server with a special management client and issue the
> commands interactively.  This should be doable with chat scripts.  I'll
> have to work on this too.

Sounds like Critical Path <http://www.cp.net/>, which I'm in the process
of adding.  I'll try to make it general enough so that no hackery is
needed for a Cyrus interface.

> > >   Thanks![...]
>   I've run into another problem and I think this one may be a
> show-stopper.  I need to track commission rates for sales staff.  They
> will be paid a recurring commission, so each account must associate
> itself with a sales person, and when payment is rendered, the sales
> person's commission account is credit x% of the payment.
>   I'll look at the code and see if I can figure out how to do this, but
> I'm pretty inexperienced in perl/DBI programming.  Any guidence on how
> this should be done would be appreciated.

That's what agents are for.

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside