No packages found, suidperl slow

Perry J. Blalock perryb at badger1.net
Thu Apr 1 23:18:39 PST 1999

First let me say nice proggy and thank you for building it  My install went
kinda bad the first time, then I figured out that I had to install the
package as user "freeside."  Once I did that and followed the instructions
*exactly*  all *appears* to be working except....  I'll get to the *except*
in a sec, but first a recommendation...for us uninformed and uninitiated,
you should add the following instruction to your install procedures, right
**before** it reads "Unpack the tarball: "   The step before "Unpack the
tarball: " should read "su - freeside".  This will make the install much
smoother, at least on the RedHat 5.2 distribution (Linux kernel 2.0.36), and
cut down on alot of the silly posts on your mailing list.

Now for my first problem;  I can add services and packages to the database
and see they are added, but when I try to browse those packages, I get the
follow error in the browser:

	"Error processing your request
	Your request could not be processed because of the following error:
	No packages found

	Hit the Back button in your web browser, correct this mistake, and try
again"

And in the Apache access_log I get:

	"207.113.50.6 - freeside [01/Apr/1999:22:29:15 -0800] "GET
/freeside/search/cust_pkg.cgi?pkgnum HTTP/1.1" 200 380"

**nothing shows in the apache error_log, or the system's syslog"

If I try to add a package to a customer, no packages are displayed in the
browser, only the "order" button.  When I click the order button, I am
returned back to the customer's page.

I'm using freeside v1.1.6 and it does *not* matter whether is use Netscape
or MSIE and I have applied your path to "Record.pm" this fixed the
county/state/country problem.

One last item, in one of the maillist threads I recall reading how slow the
suidperl was.  Well, let me tell ya..I'm connected to the freeside server
through a 10Meg switch on the same segment and it is reeeeeeeel sloooooow.
With only one customer in the database (just started testing), it is way too
slow.  It takes up to 5 seconds for each little task and yes, top shows my
perl sucks up nearly all the cpu time for a flashing moment.  How is the
performance when the database is quite full?  I have other databases running
on the mySQL server and they are reeeel fast (not using suid of course).

Back to my original package problem...can you tell me what's broken?

thanks