[ivan: Re: Good news.]

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Fri Nov 6 23:55:15 PST 1998

----- Forwarded message from Ivan Kohler <ivan> -----

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 22:37:46 -0500
From: Ivan Kohler <ivan>
To: tanto <tanto at cartel.cartel.org>
Subject: Re: Good news.

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 10:20:14PM +0200, tanto wrote:
> I finally was able to get freeside working on my machine (upgraded to
> FS-1.1.5).  The problem seemed to lie in Apache 1.3.1.  It was giving me
> the following error message:
>
> [Fri Nov  6 19:19:13 1998] [error] Options ExecCGI is off in this
> directory: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/freeside/edit/cust_main.cgi
>
> Even though ExecCGI was on (and I followed all of your installation steps
> exactly). I tried this on my Apache 1.3.3 webserver and it worked fine.. I
> should have used it on the 1.3.3 server earlier.  Note: I am running
> Apache as "freeside".

Thanks for the tip.  Strange I never noticed that, as I should track
Apache versions pretty closely (running Debian unstable).

Do be careful running Apache as `freeside'.

> Just incase other people are having this same problem, you might have them
> check this out.
>
> Also, I have an idea you might find useful:  Instead of removing the
> services from a customer to "remove" it, make a field that is "active" or
> "inactive" and if it is inactive it will not bill the account.  This will
> allow you to still save the customer record while holding on to the rates
> that the person had, if the customer signs up again.  Just an idea.

You can do this by suspending the package: any accounts in the package
have their password disabled but saved.  Billing for the package is
suspended.  If/when you unsuspend the package, the anniversary date is
adjusted.

That's the difference between suspending and cancelling; when you _cancel_
a package the services are deleted (freeing up the usernames, etc.)

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key
Silicon Interactive Software Design - http://www.sisd.com/ - 888-670-SISD

----- End forwarded message -----