Postgres port

News Subsystem news at bmccane.maxbaud.net
Fri Mar 27 13:30:57 PST 1998

Greetings,

	I am still working on the PostreSQL port.  It is going pretty
well, but I am having a few problems.  To try and fix these, I have a
couple of quick questions:

    1)	Does MySQL null-terminate strings in the database?
    2)	Is there a reason you used char(255) so much?
    3)	Do you like your current layout?

Reasons:
    1)	I assume the edit/cust_main.cgi script works on your machine 8),
	it does NOT on mine.  I mean, it runs okay, but since county is
	char(120) in cust_main_county and char(255) in cust_main, the
	string comparison fails, so my State/County changes to taxnum 1
	each time I update customer information.  I have fixed this by
	adding 'unpack("A120", ...)' calls in the edit/*.cgi files whenever
	this bytes me.  Trimming is not always guaranteed in SQL I believe.
    2)	You have a LOT of char(255)'s in the databases.  This makes the
	records much larger than they could be and probably hampers the
	performance of the system.  I checked, and there are 8 fields in
	cust_main that are char(255).  In my experience, it is not
	necesarry to allow names/addresses to be that large, usually a
	char(30) or char(40) is sufficient.
    3)	Okay, I know this is picking a nit, but some of your layouts are
	VERY vertical.  I have about 40 packages defined at present in my
	test database, and it takes several page downs to get to the
	submit button.  I have made changes in my version to convert
	these to tables, which are 2 or 3 columns wide.

Well, that is it, you can now proceed to tell me to go to .... ;-}

	brian