Freeside installation problem

Neal Rigney neal at pernet.net
Thu Mar 26 09:30:44 PST 1998

Actually, I think apache is root to open port 80, then immediately changes
to the user specified in the configuration.  apachesuid switches back to
root in order to switch users to the user that owns the script.  It's
extremely safe(the code ONLY switches users, and is very short).

As far as I'm aware, the root apache never actually looks at port 80.  Only
the children do.

Here's a ps from our web server(abreviated):
root     23958  0.0  2.2   808  664  ??  Ss   12Mar98    5:08.61 ./httpd
httpd     4967  0.0  3.1   836  952  ??  S     9:44AM    0:00.10 ./httpd
httpd     5079  0.0  3.4   868 1044  ??  S    10:02AM    0:00.28 ./httpd

Neal Rigney, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
neal at mail.pernet.net
"I've seen better bandwidth between two gorillas with flash cards!"