Getting started with FS

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Jul 13 01:06:36 PDT 1998

Ivan Kohler wrote:

> I've added some inline documentation on the pages themselves.  Please tell
> me if it helps.  Some things (like agents and referrals) I didn't know
> what to add; what don't you understand about them?

Well I'm on;

http://localhost/fs-current/htdocs/edit/cust_main.cgi

and the "Agent #" and "Referral" select gadgets near the
top are almost non-existant (can't select anything) yet
FS is saying they are required fields... without pouring
thru the code I have no idea what to even add to those
fields (edit the output page manually even) just so
I can succesfully submit a new "Customer Add" client.

Obviously nothing else will work until there is at least
one entry in the database. fs-setup worked Ok so my basic
setup, perms and mySQL must be alright but now I can't
actually start the ball rolling and use any of the clickable
entries on the main htdocs/ page until I have at least one
entry (I guess)... but I can't add an entry because of the
above problem.

I guess I could pull up your demo and see for myself what
some example Agent/Referral numbers are supposed to look
like. I suspect fs-setup should also load in one dummy entry
into mySQL if it's setting this all up for the first time ?

> If you send over (privately, please) your list of Provinces or
> State-equivalents, I'll add them in to a menu in fs-setup.  That goes for
> anyone, of course.  If anyone knows where a complete list is available,
> again please drop me a line.

Well if I can get it going enough to use I'll email you
the patch :-)

> >       Area Code (example US ph num)
> >       Exchange  ( ditto )

> Example US area codes and exchanges are three digits.  Since this is
> currently only tracked for informational purposes you should be able to
> use this anyway.

Right, I hadn;t got that far to know if it would be a required
field or not, if it isn't then not a concern.

> > o I was unaware of CGI::Base as distinct from CGI.pm
> > o Needed a SUID version of perl
> > o The .htaccess files are unusable as distributed
>
> These should be added to the documentation.

Again, wanna patch ?

> > o No conf/secrets
>
> Remember fs-current is a development snapshot and the documentation is
> possibly inaccurate, as well as incomplete.  Check the TODO for things
> that haven't made it to the documentation yet, like conf/secrets.

I am not complaining in the slightest, jsut trying to
pass on whatever I have noted that stopped me from using
FS... and hoping I can contribute back to the project.

--
Mark Constable  http://www.renta.net  +61(0)755275724