Already in use

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Tue Dec 22 14:13:19 PST 1998

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 07:03:21PM +1100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did make Freeside add users to a stand alone machine..    That was
> installing SSH to the local machine..  then giving the root acounts
> public key to the Freeside user... etc    having an entry in .shost for
> the localmachine..  and yes very inportant when creating the SSH key use
> no phases.. so that you machine can log straight through without
> prompts..     Next be careful..  if you manage to get that to work..
> Freeside will wipeout your passwd and your shadows files..

Only if you've explicitly added an entry for your machine into the
`shellmachines' configuration file and run bin/svc_acct.export!  (or
bsdshellmachine, or nismachines, depending)

An entry in the `shellmachine' configuration file (notice not plural) will
cause the `useradd' command to be run on that machine but won't overwrite
passwd and shadow like the above.

>  just leaving
> the added user in the files.. so there will also be a need for a hack
> for the svc_acct.export file in the freeside/bin dir.. so the  it will
> not totaly replace the passwd file..   I just modified the code so that
> I had a preserved part of the passwd and shadows files..

Yes, Cerkit sent me a patch against 1.0.0 with similar functionality,
though everything is in the database.  I'll be integrating it into the
next release.

The general idea is that you _import_ the existing users using
bin/svc_acct.import before you do this, so that when you export new copies
of passwd and shadow, your existing users are already there.

> Just be carefull if you follow these instructions though..  the secuity
> of your machine when it is online could be compermised, so only use for
> testing and learning..  that's what I done..

Good luck!  Tell me if you have any questions.

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> relhoK navI
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside