[freeside-devel] 3.9 to 4.0 upgrade on Wheezy

Fernando M. Kiernan fkiernan at id.net.ar
Sat Feb 20 16:51:20 PST 2016

Hi, I installed 3.9 on Wheezy by the docs and then tried to upgrade to 4.0.
During this I got some quirks that should be fixed or at least noted on
docs.

The procedure was:
Edit /var/apt/sources.list and replace freeside3-wheezy-stable by
freeside4-wheezy-stable on the repo.
Then run apt-get update
After that I ran apt-get dist-upgrade, and found these errors on the upgrade
process:

Unpacking replacement freeside-lib ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/freeside-lib_4.0-1_all.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/opt/rt3/share/fonts/Droid.README', which is also in
package freeside 3.9
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
texhash: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Done.
Selecting previously unselected package libcgi-emulate-psgi-perl.
Unpacking libcgi-emulate-psgi-perl (from
.../libcgi-emulate-psgi-perl_0.14-1_all.deb) ...

Preparing to replace freeside-webui 3.9 (using
.../freeside-webui_4.0-1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement freeside-webui ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/freeside-webui_4.0-1_all.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/var/www/freeside/L10N', which is also in package
freeside 3.9
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for man-db ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/freeside-lib_4.0-1_all.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/freeside-webui_4.0-1_all.deb

This was resolved doing:
apt-get -f install (to finish the stalled packeges installations)
then
apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" dist-upgrade (to force the
overwrite of files)
another way would be to remove freeside freeside-lib and freeside-webui and
reinstall...

The rt database upgrade (as per
http://www.freeside.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Freeside:4:Documentation:Upgradi
ng) should be done as freeside user and starting on /opt/rt3

The freeside-upgrade gone well, however when restarting apache2 it barks
about not finding some torrus files, so it is mandatory to do:
apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" install freeside-torrus
(again forcing overwrite some existing files)

to get thins running again.

Lastly to being able to log in again as freeside user you must run psql and
execute:
update access_user set _password='root' where username='root'; (using any
user with superuser privileges you have)
and then log in with that user and refresh all user passwords.

I think some of these quieks may be corrected by doing some cleanup on the
.deb packages and others should be documented on "upgrading" page...

Regards

Fernando M. Kiernan
Imágenes Digitales S.A.
www.imagenesdigitales.com.ar